Films with confirmed unsimulated sexual activity
The following mainstream films have scenes with real/unsimulated sex, meaning actors are filmed engaging in actual sexual intercourse or performing related sexual acts such as fellatio and cunnilingus. These scenes have been confirmed either through visual on-screen evidence, or via the actors themselves in interviews.
- Dom kallar oss mods (1968) (English title: They Call Us Misfits)
- Thriller - en grym film (1974) (English title: Thriller: A Cruel Picture) - Swedish film with several unsimulated sex scenes including an anal penetration.
- Through the Looking Glass (1976) - Contains scenes of unsimulated sex scenes including female masturbation, fellatio, and penetration.
- Emanuelle in America (1977) - Several unsimulated sex scenes between extras (none involving Laura Gemser).
- La Svastica nel ventre (1977) - Unsimulated sex with some explicit shots.
- Caligula (1979) - Uncut version of this film includes several unsimulated sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio. None of the big-name actors involved in this Tinto Brass-directed film participate in these scenes.
- Immagini di un convento (1979) - Contains scenes of unsimulated sex.
- Spetters (1980) - Contains a brief scene of unsimulated male-to-male fellatio.
- Bare Behind Bars (1980) - This Brazilian women in prison film features unsimulated heterosexual sex (fellatio, penetration), as well as several lesbian scenes.
- Cruising (1980) - This film features two seconds of unsimulated anal sex during the first murder scene. It is believed that the director's cut includes numerous scenes of unsimulated anal sex, anal fisting, and a golden shower.
- Taxi zum Klo (1981) (English title: Taxi to the Toilet) - Contains unsimulated gay sex and a golden shower scene.
- Caligola: La storia mai raccontata (1982) (Also Known As: Caligula II: The Untold Story) - Several unsimulated sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio.
- L'Alcova (1984) - Shots of masturbating and some brief, unsimulated sex scenes (none of them involving Laura Gemser).
- Emmanuelle V (1985) - Two versions of this film were released: an R-rated version and a hardcore version with several unsimulated sex scenes inserted (none of the added material feature the film's star, Monique Gabrielle).
- Così fan tutte (1992) (English title: All Ladies Do It) - This Tinto Brass-directed film includes scenes of unsimulated fellatio and female genital fingering.
- Idioterne (1998) (English title: The Idiots) - Several unsimulated sex scenes, although director Lars von Trier has stated that body doubles were used for penetrative scenes (penetration censored by animated black boxes in most English-language releases).
- Seul contre tous (1998) (English title: I Stand Alone) - 40 seconds of pornographic film in a film scene.
- Extension du domaine de la lutte (1999) (English title: Whatever) - 30 seconds of pornographic film in a film scene.
- Baise-Moi (2000) - Several unsimulated sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio, involving Karen Lancaume and Raffaëla Anderson.
- O Fantasma (2000) - Portuguese film about a man who becomes obsessed with a licking and leather fetish. One scene of unsimulated fellatio.
- The Atrocity Exhibition (2000) - 30 seconds of X-rated material, unsimulated penetration.
- Intimacy (2001) - Fellatio scene between actress Kerry Fox and actor Mark Rylance. It is often falsely stated that actual intercourse is performed between the two leads, but this rumor was dispelled by Fox's boyfriend, who wrote an article for The Guardian about the making of the film.
- La Pianiste (2001) (English title: The Piano Player) - 20 seconds of pornographic film in a film scene. 
- Irréversible (2002) - A few brief glimpses of unsimulated sex (homosexual activity at a club early in the movie, a second-worth of fellatio at a party later on). The central rape scene of the movie, however, is simulated.
- Le loup de la côte Ouest (2002) (English title: The Wolf of the West Coast) - Unknown actress performs unsimulated fellatio in an orgy club scene.
- La Chatte à deux têtes (2002 (English title: Porn Theater (USA)/Glowing Eyes (International: English title) Features unsimulated male/male fellatio in several scenes, a man ejaculating onto another and anal sex. (Although the latter is filmed at such an angle it is hard to tell if it was unsimulated or not.) 
- Bodysong (2003) - This documentary also includes 60 seconds of X-rated material, unsimulated fellatio and penetration.
- Fallo! (2003) - This Tinto Brass-directed film includes scenes of unsimulated fellatio and female genital fingering.
- Rossa Venezia (2003) - This German sexploitation horror film includes several scenes of high voltage sexual content including unsimulated fellatio and penetration.
- The Principles of Lust (2003) - Some unsimulated fellatio and penetration in orgy scene.
- The Real Cancun (2003) - Several couples in this documentary are briefly shown from a distance and via night vision cameras having actual intercourse although nothing explicit is visible in the released version.
- 9 Songs (2004) - Several unsimulated sex scenes between actress Margo Stilley and actor Kieran O'Brien, including penetration, fellatio and an on-screen ejaculation by the lead actor.
- Georges Bataille's Story of the Eye (2004) - Contains several explicit sexual scenes, including male and female masturbation, male-male fellatio and intercourse, female-female cunnilingus and usage of a double-headed dildo, female-male fellatio and intercourse (intercourse is only visible from a distance in a mirror).
- Kärlekens språk 2000 (2004) - Swedish movie with several unsimulated sex scenes.
- Inside Deep Throat (2005) - This documentary includes the infamous deep throat scene from the original Linda Lovelace motion picture. 
- Kissing on the Mouth (2005) - This independent film shot on a digital camera features many scenes of heterosexual sex (most likely simulated), however contains one scene where an actor masturbates in the shower with a close up of his climax (obviously unsimulated). 
- Destricted (2006) - This series of short films includes scenes of unsimulated vaginal, anal and oral sex, male and female masturbation, sex with an inflatable doll, and objects inserted into an anus.
- Shortbus (2006) - Several actors in Canadian film perform confirmed unsimulated intercourse and other sexual acts, including TV personality and singer Sook-Yin Lee.
Films showing unsimulated object penetration
Another variation on this theme are mainstream films in which digital or object penetration of a vagina is shown. Several of the films listed above such as Romance show this act in addition to the other unsimulated content. Films that also show some sort of penetration (as the maximum explicit content) include:
- Emmanuelle (1974) - in the first film in this long-running series, a dancer is shown inserting a cigarette into her vagina and then blowing smoke out of it.
- Wild Orchid II: Two Shades of Blue (1992) - in the uncut version of this film, a vibrator is shown inserted into a woman's vagina during one sequence
Films showing other unsimulated sexual activity
This category is for films that show sexual detail uncommon in mainstream films, but not necessarily to the explicit extent of the above. For the most part, this is the maximum extent of sexual explicitness for these films.
Pornographic films reedited as mainstream releases
Prior to the advent of home video, a number of hardcore pornography films were released to mainstream cinemas. In most cases, scenes of penetration were either cut out or replaced with alternate shots. One exception to this was Deep Throat, which was released uncensored.
Examples of this type of hybrid release include:
- Alice in Wonderland (1976) - available in an R-rated version
- Café Flesh (1982) - R-rated version of this science fiction porn film was released to mainstream cinemas
- Dixie Ray, Hollywood Star (1983) - reissued in R-rated form as It's Called Murder, Bab
Television series with unsimulated sexual activity
Unsimulated sexual activity is occasionally depicted on television programs. The rise of specialty cable networks in the 1980s resulted in a number of sexually explicit made-for-cable programs. The following list only includes programming made for non-pornographic broadcasters and therefore does not include programs such as Night Calls and 7 Lives Exposed (Playboy Channel productions with unsimulated sexual activity).
- Family Business, a Showtime reality series about a porn film producer, features footage of actual sexual acts, although scenes of penetration have been edited out.
- Sin Cities, a British travel series, often included scenes showing people (including, occasionally, the show's hosts) engaged in actual sexual activity. As with Family Business, actual penetration is not shown.
- Big Brother. Numerous contestants on European and South American editions of this reality-cum-game show have been caught on tape engaged in intercourse; in some countries this footage was only viewable on the Internet, while in other regions it has been broadcast, leading to viewer complaints. In the 2006 series of the Australian version, two male housemates sexually abused a female by "Turkey Slapping" her. This was shown through live feed on the internet. This activity did not involve penetration, however.
- Cheaters, an American reality series that exposes individuals engaging in infidelity, regularly films subject couples in sexual situations with hidden cameras as part of their investigations. The televised version of the series censors the most explicit footage, however DVD releases of the series have included uncensored footage. In particular the video release The Best of Cheaters 4: Too Hot for Broadcast includes footage of two women penetrating themselves with dildos and male-female penetration can also be glimpsed.
- Porno Valley is another reality series dealing with the adult film industry, and thus includes footage of real sexual acts, though once again no penetration is shown directly.